Poker Source Online More than just free online poker gifts! Check out our free poker league.
Play Poker Online
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker
Play poker at the fastest growing online poker room

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A little cold, a little cough... a little online poker...

Well, some family matters to attend to and a head cold prevented much poker action this past week or so, but I did get in on the Sunday and Monday tournaments around here. Everything else this week was online. And... drumroll... it was a success.

I dabbled in just about everything but NL hold'em this week. I played my shorthanded O8, heads up limit hold'em and a couple stud tournies. Omaha 8 shorthanded may be my favorite game right now. I love playing 2 or 3 handed and just trying to stay clear of the less informed (read donkies) players when the table is full. I am ultra-ultra-aggressive in limit and for the most part it works, but when if I get sucked out on, it's usually a monster pot.

I dipped my toe in the waters of heads-up hold'em also, nothing very spectacular, just some .50/1, 1-2 and 2-4. I ended up about $75 all told after a bad outing earlier in the afternoon. At one point I lost four pots in a row to one guy, and he hit a gutshot straight on every one of them. That'll damage your psyche if you aren't careful. I didn't mind the swings so much, my aggressive style puts me at risk of that. It was, however, annoying as hell to get hit and run, or have the other guy take the money off the table and sit in short. Oh well.

PokerDon was also kind enough to tell me about the soft 7 stud tournies that he'd played a couple times this week. I tried once and couldn't catch any cards early and then whiffed on a monster draw to get knocked out. The second time around was much better as I went into the final table with a chip lead triple my nearest opponent, and then more than double the table when three handed. We got heads up and I had a 4-1 chip lead and got the guy all in and he rivered his huge draw, but the poker gods were nice and continued to bless me with cards and I pulled out the win a short time later.

So that pretty much makes up for my online losses in December. I haven't played live around here due to everything that's been going on, but with a week in AC coming up, I'm sure I'm going to log enough hours not to worry about it for the month. I'll be playing in event #1 in the Borgata Winter Poker Open, and will be there from Thursday to Thursday. I've seen rumors of several bloggers making the Borgata trip, so hopefully I can get a chance to meet a few of you finally at the tables.

Now onto the most pressing and overdue matter for the blog... Donkey of the Week. It's not often that a guy who comes in second in a tournament could earn this dubious, though esteemed, award. But Tyler Stoneman... this is your lucky day. First off, by forking in $40 and then deciding in hour two that you're too tired to continue playing in a tournament. So you start pushing your stack in at every opportunity to get knocked out, only the strategy backfires and you begin to accumulate chips. This alone might generally be enough to push you to the front, but since there are so many other boneheads we play with that shared your mentality, there had to be more. And more you provided, sir. With a chip stack of around 800 (and what we would find out after was a serious card rush) you began moving your stack in every time, raised or unraised pot. After five consecutive hands you revealed that you had been pushing in with AA, KK, KK, AK and 10 10. Most people hope to get heads up with AA or KK versus AK like you would have been on two of those five hands, but no, you sir have a greater strategy in mind. Tyler, why would you push in all that money with those hands, why not just reraise or try and trap?

"I've just been getting sucked out on so much lately..."

And with that Tyler, you earned yourself Donkey of the Week honors. For because you didn't take advantage of your opportunities when you had them, you came in 2nd, running into quad tens heads up and getting knocked out the next hand.

Just remember, it's all love brother, and nothing can take the place of persistence...

Perge!

And to everyone else, hope the cards are treating you well. I will have a big O8 hand discussion post before the month is over, and hopefully good trip report info from the Borgata tourney.

One last thing,

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares