Poker Source Online More than just free online poker gifts! Check out our free poker league.
Play Poker Online
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker
Play poker at the fastest growing online poker room

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Week in Review

It's been an interesting, but losing, week of poker. My weeks of poker are measured from Saturday through Friday, and I promptly started off the week stuck. Played in a poker extravaganza at Bailey's house, which was a $150 buy-in for at least three tournaments. The first was a freezeout NL, the second was a heads-up challenge and the third was a NL rebuy and add-on shorthanded shootout. You accumulated points throughout the whole thing and the top five point finishers were put in a freeroll NL freezeout.

My poker play was still good but just ran into some people who fit into one of the following three categories: (A) No idea what they were doing, (B) Didn't care what they were doing because they were drinking, or (C) both A and B. But I'd take my chances with that group any day. I finished in 7th in the first tourney, 3rd in the heads-up tourney and 10th in the rebuy tourney, which amounted to me missing the final table by 1.5 points. All told, I was stuck $165 after entry fees and rebuys and a minimal cash in the heads-up portion.

It also prevented me from playing the cash game at Vollmer, which is where I'm primarily going to be making money around these parts. Friday through Sunday I did a lot of experimenting online with a poker niche I'm hoping may be profitable. I need to log a lot more time playing, but shorthanded Omaha 8 is looking like a potential cash cow. I put together a statistically improbable run at the $1-2 limit tables which was quickly humbled by a few forays up to $2-4. But I definitely plan on working my Omaha 8 game as it's very clear that people have even less of clue playing that game than they do with hold'em.

Went deep in a few tournaments online but wasn't able to do anything major at the end of them because I never got cards late and the blinds just ate me up. But I'm feeling really confident with my tournament play and I will be more than happy to trade the last week for a good finish in the Party Poker Million Dollar Guaranteed on Saturday. At last check there are only 486 people registered with about a day and a half to go, so I'm wondering how big the field is going to get for this thing. I can't imagine there are 1500 people that will suddenly plunk down $640, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a huge overlay, though I know that's probably unlikely.

Other than that, a little three day jaunt up to AC starts on Sunday, so you'll most likely find me in the basement of the Borgata during that 72 hours. I'll be playing in at least one of the WPT Winter Open tournaments while trying to satellite into the main event there at the end of January as well. And a plan is formulating that may include three to four weeks in Vegas from the middle of March through the middle of April.

On a semi-related Vegas note, most of us in the regular home game were surging with jealousy when one of our buddies Jag came home from a week out there. Not only did he run really well in a bunch of tournaments including the Ultimate Poker Challenge at the Plaza where he knocked out Men the Master, but then he was approached with the dream job. A rep from Full Tilt offered him a spot on the team where Full Tilt would back him in four tournaments a month plus cash games and provide room and board. He spent one night getting schmoozed by the rep and John Juanda and Jesus Ferguson but because of real life back here in Richmond, he was unable to accept.

That has most of us salivating about long dreamt about possibilities. Talk about living the dream...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares