Poker Source Online More than just free online poker gifts! Check out our free poker league.
Play Poker Online
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker
Play poker at the fastest growing online poker room

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Some more review...

Overall in the ring games I think I played below average, but I still found a lot of good spots and was up $450 overall for the cash games. I took some bad beats, some tough beats and made a couple of really donkey-esque decisions of my own, otherwise I may have done much better. There are a lot of holes in my game but now when I make a mistake I know exactly what I've done most of the time, so I feel like I'm at least making progress.

I think the two biggest problems I have, and one really just contributes to the other, are that I'm not taking enough time to think through what's just happened when a player acts and that I'm still paying off some value bets on the river when I know I'm beat. Paying $25 or 30 more in either a raise or a river bet from another player when I'm almost 98% certain I'm beat is definitely costing me money I don't need to lose. I just need to tighten up in those situations and be willing to pitch those 2% that are winning hands anyway so as not to keep costing myself those bets.

One situation in particular I'm still unsure of whether I really made a mistake or not, but I definitely could have taken a bit more time to think it through. I was sitting at a $1-2 NL table with about $300 in front of me and I picked up pocket kings one off under the gun. I raised to $12 and got called in four places. The flop came down J 10 5 rainbow and I led out for $30. One player mucked and the next one to act raised it up to $80 and the action folded back around to me. I thought for a second and had him on Ace or King with a Jack. I certainly thought he could have had a set as well, I definitely didn't have him on Jacks, Queens or Aces because I am pretty sure from what I saw out of him he would have reraised me with any of those hands.

So I moved in, and after thinking for a second and listening as he started wondering aloud if I had really made top set, I knew I was in trouble. He finally called with his set of tens and I bricked out. I was really confident I was ahead, especially because just a few orbits earlier I had seen him make the same move on a Queen high board with Ace-King and stick himself against a flopped set of Queens.

I really don't know if I would not go broke on that hand even if I played it differently. If I smooth call his raise, which I don't think is an option there, the card on the turn was a 6 leaving me with $200 in front of me and a pot of about $215. I have to bet a decent amount on the turn if I think I'm still ahead because now I have to wonder if he's on a OESD and may have picked up a flush draw. I probably would bet about $100 and if he raises me there he's putting me all-in, the pot is then laying me over 5-1 odds and I have an overpair to the board. Basically I could reraise him on the flop and make it $75 more, which means he either moves it in there or smooth calls me and I'm in the same predicament I just explained.

I think the only way I get away from the hand would be to reraise the flop and pitch if he moves in there. He could certainly have two pair like J-10 as well, so I think I was a bit too quick to move in on the flop, when a reraise would have been the best option. It's certainly not a hand that's impossible to get away from, I just acted too quickly. Love to hear some others' thoughts on what they have done or would do in this situation.

Comments:
I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ
 
I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares