Poker Source Online More than just free online poker gifts! Check out our free poker league.
Play Poker Online
Online Poker at Full Tilt Poker
Play poker at the fastest growing online poker room

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Hammer

There has clearly been one thing lacking in making this an official poker blog. A proper story about the Hammer. For some of my non-blogging readers, the Hammer is the affectionate term for the preflop hand of 7 2. Not coincidentally, that is the worst starting hand in poker. Ever since I began reading the blogs, I have on several occasions had the pleasure of dropping the Hammer on someone, but I had lacked in reporting it here. I wish Full Tilt would allow hand histories to be copied but I guess I haven't figured that out. So without further ado...

As I was on my way to finishing second for the third time in a $50K guarantee satellite this week(insert angry face with expletives here), I was dealt 72 offsuit under the gun. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like the proper time for the Hammer play. I folded and when the deal started for the next hand in the small blind I was delivered the Hammer once again. But there were two raises before it got back around to me, so once again I was denied my wish to play. So then in the big blind, I was dealt... 72 offsuit. The Hammer on three consecutive hands. It's kismet, serendipity, destiny, fate... whatever you want to call it, now there is no way to ignore it. Three hands in a row is a sign from a higher power.

There were three limpers into the pot in front of me, and when I raised from the big blind I got two of them out. The flop came K86 with a pot of $180. First to act and I made it a pot bet of $180, which was promptly called. The turn card was a 10 and as protocol demanded with the pot of $540, I made a pot-sized bet of $540. My opponent thought for most of his allotted time before folding. I was only too happy to click "show hand" and declare: "HAMMER!"

The shower of appreciation I had anticipated for this phenomenal play was strangely withheld. Oh well, I didn't much care, because the effect of the Hammer was felt yet again on my next play. The very next hand on the button I am dealt Aces. Betting goes around and gets three limpers before I raise it a little too much trying to make it look like a play on the bets. I get a re-raise from the guy I just dropped the Hammer on and he puts me all-in. I call and laugh devilishly as he shows AQ offsuit and gets absolutely no help all the way to fifth street.

Not only did I get to drop the Hammer on him but it also set up the hand where I dropped the hammer on him and knocked him out of the tourney. Unfortunately I ended up getting sucked out by a flush to lose but I got to use virtually my entire bag of tricks in this single SNG. It made my afternoon...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on BlogShares